View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
That was caused by our refusing to hand over the Shah to them. It was certainly an absurd and terrible overreaction. Although I suppose them asking could be considered the beginning. I stand corrected.
So was overthrowing their elected leader in the 50s, which was the start of all this..

Read about the guy, it is pretty sad that we got rid of him.

The thing is, so I'm told, is that people over there have very loong memories, and hold their grudges for equally as long.

Over the years, there have been so many small "conflicts" between the US / other Western nations (British hostage thing a few years ago) and Iran that usually are forgotten..
During the Iran Iraq war, we shot down and Iranian airliner!!! Our excuse was that we thought it was an approaching fighter jet. Who knows..Can you imagine what would happen if someone else did that to us? But nothing came of it.

Also, Rumsfeld and co were very close to selling Iran nuclear reactors, but then things fell apart and they had the revolution. So, almost 30 years later, yeah..I'm sure they do want the technology. And the fact that now we are saying no probably doesn't make a lot of sense to them
Past: 1987 300D - 264k