View Single Post
Old 05-22-2002, 11:35 AM

I’ve had the CD for about a month. Price is steep but I think will be worth it.

Good points:
1. Shows progression/regression of technology as the years go by.
2. I have both “Service Jobs – Passenger Cars” and “Technical Data – Passenger Cars” paper manuals. The CD does have some procedures that these manuals don’t, and does explain some system operational theory (which neither paper manual does).
3. Seems to do a detailed job on AC and vacuum operated stuff, if you have those bells and whistles.

Bad points:
1. The CD is simply scanned paper manual pages. Don’t know if the pages will print out ok.
2. Seems to only run on Acrobat Reader 3.0 (I’m not a computer expert), and now have both 3.0 and 5.0 readers installed on my computer, as well as Acrobat 5.0. 5.0 and 5.0 reader both run with an extra keystroke after running the CD, and both will open individual files.
3. I’ve learned that if what I want to look at does not come up with my year and model then it’s probably under another year or model. Am writing down the PDF file name as I go along and slowly creating my own index.
4. No transmission or clutch stuff (that I’ve seen).
5. Only shows part numbers that replace obsolete numbers. **
6. Does not have blow-up of equipment pieces like my MB “Catalog B”

** Regarding part numbers, it’s my understanding that I still have to do the MB microfiche and computer drill to get the number – either here with Phil the parts guy or at a dealer.

Following are sources of paper manuals (thanks to the people on this site), but I haven’t ordered any yet. Perhaps somebody can tell us what company(ies) to stay away from.

vmartdiscount.com
www.books-4cars.com
www.tmcpubl.com
www.************************
www.toadhallbook.com
1-800-for-merc (Mercedes-Benz)