View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T. W. View Post
What I meant by "better design" was more reliable, easier to maintain, lots of parts available . . . the populous has purchased alot of these, repeadedly, and are satisfied with the car . . .

That is what I meant . . . or maybe phrased another way . . . if MB made some more of these 123 like they did in the early 80's do you think there would be a waiting list for the 2010 models?
At the right price, perhaps to Mercedes Diesel enthusiasts, or in some other, less litigious, parts of the world. I think a spartan W123 might be a hard sell, today in the US, without all the safety and conveniece items today's car buyers, and government legislators, have been persuaded they must have. Multiple front & side airbags. antilock & stability control, active suspensions navigation systems, onboard data recorders, not to mention all the regular features such as automatic climate control, power seats with memory, power windows, power mirrors, power antenna, power sunroof, etc....
Most of this gadgetry may make cars safer and more covenient, but I doubt more reliable - especially as the cars approach old-age.

Happy Motoring, Mark