View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T. W. View Post
My point was that the previous new owners of 123's who are now driving something else, because they fell into the "only drive a new car trap" if they had a choice of buying the same car that they use to have, but only new off the floor, since they were happy with the original, they would buy another one . . . they may have bought an 80, then an 85, then a 90, but things change, and quality / reliabilty have fallen by the wayside . . . maybe it was just my crazy idea, but I think alot of manufactures would be able to sell a new old car again, they were great before . . . yes I know some people like all that "new stuff" but if a car is built right, why do you need all that extra stuff? look back in post #9 Charles tells us of a family walking away from an accident with no curtian airbags, probably didn't have front airbags, but even if it did, they did not help the passengers in the rear when that car flipped end over end, what saved them was a car built soundly . . . Your right about a lot of people wanting all the creature comforts in cars now . . . but tell me your not comfortable in your MB! If it is so horrable why are so many people using these old cars as daily drivers?
Because we appreciate the solid integrity these cars represent, and the philosophy that produced them - that these cars were built to last, and not be discarded after a few years like last years designer fashions. And that the cars were/are so popular that parts avaiibility is still better than average. And many of us buy these cars because they are availible for a fraction of what they would cost new today, or even what they cost new back in the late '70s. And unlike todays cars, and indeed most cars built in the last 25 years, cars like the 240D are excellent prospects for DIY repair.

Unfortunately, in addition to consumer demand for every computerised gadget that can be crammed into a new car, simple cars have been virtually legislated out of the new-car market by DOT and EPA demands for electronic engine controls and complex safety systems. And I sometimes wonder how much longer it will be before our old cars get legislated out of existence.

I suppose I could also ask - If it was possible today, would you pay $22,000 for a brand new W123 240D, or $34,000 for a brand new W123 300D?

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 04-22-2009 at 09:32 PM.