Thread: Tranny damage?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2002, 03:44 AM
turbodiesel

Tranny damage?

WHAT A NIGHT!

After straightening out my deformed tranny pan from my own stupidity, putting it back together, filling it with ATF and letting it idle for about 20 minutes with -no- signs of leakage, I decide its fine, and head off to my friends house, about 15 miles away.

Everything is fine, until about 1 mile from his house where the tranny starts slipping while driving. I pull over, and see ATF RUNNING out of my tranny pan. I had a half quart in my trunk, I quickly poured that in and decided to make it to my friends house.

It barely made it, but it did. After that I bought 10 qts of ATF and parked it in a local WaWa parking lot where I will put the new pan and gasket on tommorow or monday. You would not belive the volume of this stuff running out, it was like pouring it on the ground out of the container.

Now, I drove her for a total of approximately 1 mile with it slipping badly. I smelled the dipstick after that, and did not smell any burning.

Could I have done any damage? I guess I just want some reassurance, I don't think I did because the slipping condition was caused by the lack of fluid, not lack of clutch material. I guess only time will tell..