View Single Post
Old 10-06-1999, 12:43 PM

On my '83 240D, you don't even have to remove the steering wheel. Yours may be different, but try this first to see if you can save the trouble of removing the steering wheel:

1) Take off the lower dash panel, above the pedals. On mine there are 3 screws directly under the upper dash and two plastic screw-locks on the sides a little further down.

2) Remove the rubber cover on the steering column that covers the base of the turn signal stalk (and cruise control switch stalk if so equipped).

3) Unscrew the two screws that hold the brown and black wires in place on the base of the switch. Unscrew the 2 screws that hold the base of the switch onto the steering column. The switch should be free to wiggle about now.

4) Find the plug in the lower dash that connects the switch to everything else, and unplug it. Gently pull the switch and cable out of the steering column.

I've tried repairinng one of these switchs in the past with no success. On mine, the lights would suddenly go out while driving, and would come back on if I wiggled the switch.

A new switch is quite expensive (~$100?) but I pulled one from a junker for $5.

Good luck.

- Nathan
'83 240D, 250k miles