View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Whether or not Benzin is worth visiting must depend on what you need to have fixed. I took my SLK32 there after being disappointed with Jackie Cooper's service in the past. My supercharger was disengaging intermittently. Benzin pulled the codes, and thought it needed a new supercharger. They got new and rebuilt pricing from Cooper, called my warranty company, who balked at the price tag saying it would need to be 'verified'. Then they called me saying they A) wouldn't want to fix it unless I'm willing to spend the money to do it right, B) they wouldn't make any money fixing it, so C) I should get a 2nd opinion (translation - they aren't going to touch it). That'll be $110.

So I took it to Cooper, and maybe they just need to hear that you actually would go someplace else, because suddenly they were on-par with Lexus of Tulsa in handling me. They diagnosed a faulty pulley bearing in the coupler between the engine and supercharger, which they got immediate approval to replace. (They also fixed my fuel sending unit while they were at it). It sounded and ran better for a moment, but unfortunately, the supercharger was still cutting out. Took it back, and they replaced the coolant circulation pump the same day - Benzin actually knew this was bad, and still wanted to replace the whole supercharger. Again, immediate OK from the warranty company.

It now runs like new again. I saved over $8,000 versus the approach Benzin would have taken, and thanks to my warranty, it only cost me $50 out of pocket.

My advice regarding Benzin is that if you have an engine-related problem, go to Cooper. I'll leave it at that.