View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Blue View Post
Having done the Lower Control Arm bushings and the Carrier bushings, here are a couple of hints that should make it easier.

For the LCA bushings, I used 7/16" all-thread, nuts, washers and some 3/4 dr. sockets to press things together. For lube, believe it or not, KY as the FSM mentions a water-soluble lubricant. I'm not sure how much difference it makes but there is mention of aligning the bushing flats with the LCA.

The carrier bushings required the same "tools". I tried the cold chisel and sledge hammer trick and believe me it was a lesson in frustration. With the amount of rubber you're working against, it just bounces back! And I agree with the lots of lube as it will take a lot to overcome the 4"+ of rubber friction. I've used the all-thread for several bushing jobs and it makes a nice, easily-controlled press.
I used 1/2" bolts, washers, nuts, sliding lubricant, etc..to pull the bushing into the bearing carrier. They will not completely seat. I ended up crushing the metal cap on one of the bushings...the lubricant is pushed out by the bearing...the indy I use told me he has never replaced the bushings in the carrier bearing, only the brake support. The service manual makes it look ez.