View Single Post
Old 10-06-1999, 01:01 AM
Recently after a long trip, my 1979 300D would not start. I would turn the key to the "run" position and all the lights would come on as normal. After waiting for the glow plug light to go out, I turned to "start" but nothing happens. And by nothing, I mean NOTHING. The lights on the dash stay lit and the radio still plays.

I installed a new battery 2 months before this occured, so I don't think the battery is the culprit.

Thinking that the ignition switch itself may be the culprit, I whipped out the Haynes manual and have attempted (unsuccessfully) to remove the switch. After unplugging the connection to the back of the switch, I noticed a reddish goo on one of the plugs. I can take some pictures and put them on a website if necessary.

The first question is obvious: What is the red goo and could it be the cause of my problems (by blocking the circuit)?

The second question is: How do I remove the entire ignition switch? Once again, I can post pictures to indicate my current progress if necessary (in the Haynes manual, I'm stuck on Chapter 10, section 14, step 9). Namely, where is the steering lock clamp bolt, and do I have to completely remove the locking cylinder?

Thanks for any assistance.