View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Z View Post
tobybul, where did you get the red funnel?
A few months ago, while collecting info, I bought a transmission funnel and a Dorman boot at Auto Zone. Took it to my Indy to prove it would work, and it didn't. I didn't warm the boot. I didn't know that trick. Have to try again.
Also, the boot came with a package of grease(oil?). I would rather use good stuff, but I guess the amount in that package is all you need in one boot. Measure contents and use the synthetic instead.

---------------------
1984 MB 300SD Turbo
I got the cone from Astoria when I ordered the Flexx Boots. It actually works pretty good. It is more important to warm the boots, especially the Dormans since they are thicker but I got them thru.

Its best to have 2 ppl pushing the boot thru the cone in tandem. It does require some effort but its very doable. I got the 4 Flexx boots thru by myself but only 2 of the Dormans until I asked by muscle-man son to help me out for the remaining 2.

And again, I opted to use oil instead of grease for the same reasons stated by others above. Its what MB used. Grease I'm sure will work but I would probably pack it with a lot more grease than the quantity that comes with the boots to ensure that the balls and spider arelubricated.

Also, I think the pinch type or also called SAE SEC clamps work better than the peel-back type that come with the Dormans. NAPA sells the pinch type. They also come with the Flexx boots. They can also be reused if you remove them carefully.

Dorman boots on OE axles
Attached Thumbnails
Flexx Boot Axle Repair Using Cone-dscn1774.jpg  
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry