View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 AM
ForcedInduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmills View Post
I am exploring how close/if one can get the 617 to 150hp and 250LB.Ft.@ 14-2500 RPM
You'll get close, but you won't see that at the wheels. To get more than 145hp you'll have to rebuild the pump with larger plungers or get an M-pump and send it to Myna in Finland.

Quote:
But before I start in that direction, I was wanting to know if the 617 would be the place to start
I get a late model 5 speed transmission behind the engine
If you want a 5-speed, the 617 is definately not the right engine. 5-speeds that fit are extremely rare, and expensive if the seller knows what they have. You should start with an OM602 from an 87 190D or 91-93 300D. It has much more power potential, its more efficient and 5-speeds are common and cheap for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDmills View Post
How much Torque might a moderatly tweeked pump and VNT produce at the flywheel?
You might get close to 250. The stock pump only has 20hp worth of adjustment.

Quote:
Is the power band more a result of the ability of the turbo to provide air
Yes. As I said erlier, the stock turbo is a very old design and really holds back the engine's natural torque. My VNT (From a 2003 Sprinter) will spool to 10psi before 2000rpm, the T3/K26 isn't even be working yet at that speed. The Jeep Liberty's turbo will do it even quicker since it has a smaller turbine and lower compressor trim.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 05-03-2009 at 12:49 AM.