View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM

I have a 96 E300d that I bought 3 years ago with 196,000 miles on it for $7000. Condition was good, and the car had been maintained by the prior owner. First thing I would do is get a Carfax report on the vehicle to insure that it has not been in an accident. The thing about the sunroof and compartment could have been the result of an accident, or lack of use, but it is better to be safe than sorry. As far as issues, the only thing that does not work in my car is the fuel gage in the cluster. Gage itself is bad, but no big deal. The 96, 97 are non-turbo, and are not fast off the line to say the least, but at highway speeds, the car handles like a dream. Pay special attention to the "spring perches" up front, as they have a tendency to rust out in this model. And last but not least, the engine is bulletproof, with the exception of the glow plug issue. Removal is a major problem in some cars, and they have a tendency to break off in the head which can be an expensive proposition. As for mileage, I get 28 mpg city in the summer, and 35 mpg highway. Overall, I am very satisfied with the car, and when you compare the safety features, and overall creature comforts, it was way ahead of its time in those two departments. Good luck with making your decision.