View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltedpanda View Post
wow great find. Yes on my 450 the only thing I did not like the looks of in the cockpit was the aftermarket pioneer CD player with all its flashing lights and bling. I found this 612 and sent it off for a new face and ipod jack, it looks great and sounds as good as I need. I know this is not period to my 72 but it looks much better. I could not find a nice 72 vintage becker, so I settled on this one - a 1981 model.
NOW if only I could get my hands on a set of front eruos that wont break what little I have in my bank account!
If it has the chrome-face, it should look just fine. I think the main difference between the early Mexico-cassette radio and the late version is the speaker connectors - the twin-pin plug was changed to a polarised pin & blade plug. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the last of the chrome Mexico radios were a $2000 + option!

My Euro 300TD came with a fairly new Asian-built Blaupunkt CD-radio. It doesn't have as gaudy a "Hong Kong at Midnite' look, as some modern units, but it still too-often requires taking my eyes off the road to operate the buttons, and like most modern electronic gadgets, having to scroll though a menu to change most audio settings is a pain, as is the default feature that means I frequently have to reset the volume when I turn it back on. Ironically, the TD is my only car with a working CD-player.

My 240D's PO-installed Eclipse CD-radio was shot, so I replaced it with a working '80s Pioneer cassette-radio (with round knobs!) rescued from a neighbor's trash.
And the CD in my Nissan's OE Premium CD/Cassette-radio is also dead, but at least the cassette-deck and radio still works.

Happy Motoring, Mark