View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM

"...everybody knows we still have the big stick"

The Sean Hannity types have been acting all outraged (maybe they really are outraged) about Obama going overseas and saying that the United States has been arrogant, etc. I don't know whether that attack is getting much traction with people, but it just struck me as such a timid attitude. Do they really see America as being that fragile that it cannot withstand self-criticism? Or do they think that America is perfect?

I think Secretary of Defense Gates said it well:
Quote:
"Well, I like to remind people that, when President George W. Bush came into office, he talked about a more humble America. And, you know, you go back to Theodore Roosevelt and his line about speaking softly, but carrying a big stick.

"I think that acknowledging that we have made mistakes is not only factually accurate, I think that it is unusual, because so few other governments in the world are willing to admit that, although they make them all the time. And some of them make catastrophic mistakes.

"And in speeches myself, I have said that at times we have acted too arrogantly. And I didn't feel that I was being apologetic for America, I just was saying, because the next -- I was just saying that that's the way we are in terms of being willing to recognize our own limitations, and when we make a mistake to correct it.

"Because I think the next line that I always use is, no other country in the world is so self-critical, and is so willing to change course when we feel that we've strayed from our values, or when we feel like we've been too arrogant.

"So, I think -- I have not seen it as an apology tour at all, but rather a change of tone, a more humble America. But everybody knows we still have the big stick."

http://washingtonmonthly.com/
Isn't that exactly right?