View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:22 PM

Drive Shaft Pulled out of the Transmission on the Freeway....

So my parents were driving the 300SD on I5 out of Salem when suddenly the gauges went nuts and started losing forward momentum going downhill. They pulled over and put it in and out of gear which resulted in fairly awful grinding noises. This put it at the side of the road and it had to be towed home.

I came home today to inspect. My first thought was the flex disk which is original to the car but I was able to see that the output to the transmission, where the front flex disk bolts up, had pulled out of the transmission (I could see the splines).

I then pulled the exhaust shield off so I could get a good look at the center bearing. There is a lot of play in it and it can be moved back and forth and up and down a bit.

So did the center bearing fail or is there something that holds the output to the transmission that failed? Or is there something else I'm missing?

The pictures aren't great but give me your best guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive Shaft Pulled out of the Transmission on the Freeway....-trans-output.jpg   Drive Shaft Pulled out of the Transmission on the Freeway....-cent3.jpg   Drive Shaft Pulled out of the Transmission on the Freeway....-center2.jpg   Drive Shaft Pulled out of the Transmission on the Freeway....-center1.jpg  
Factory 5-Speed

'76 300D (W115)
Sold, found again in less auspicious circumstances