View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T. W. View Post
Mark, Sorry it took so long, I was just re-reading, and noticed I never answered your question . . .

If I were in the market for a new car, I would say that YES I would be happy to spend that on a new QUALITY car, I normally like to buy used as it is more friendly on the bank account. The only vehicle I ever bought new was my 05 Sprinter which I needed for my FedEx home delivery business . . . That was the worst $39K I every spent! I went back for warrenty 4 times in 7 months, during the down time I needed to rent another vehicle . . . that was junk! I was HAPPY to unload it for $27k! (it did have about 47k on the odo)
Yeah. I've heard varying reports on the Sprinters. Some like them. Others hate them. Meanwhile, Mercedes declining reliabiity reputation over the past 20 years makes me hesitate to recommend any of their cars built since the '80s.
As for being able to buy a 'new' W123 today, the people wanting them are a tiny minority of American car buyers. And even if there was enough US demand to resume production, I'm sure the cars would cost more like 50 to 80K after all the safety and emissions mods were added to bring them into government compliance.
The W123 is probably one of the last Mercedes to maintain their world-wide reputation for durability. I'm just happy to be able to find them at affrdable prices and be able to work on them myself, without having to deal with overly complex and unfixable computerised electronics.
A friend has a 2000 ML320 that has suffered it's final major malfunction - total failure of the antilock/stability-control system - manifested by all the ABS/ESC and brake-warning lights staying on, with a loud, annoying beeper for company whenever the vehicle is moving.
The dealer installed, then removed a $1200 electronic module after it didn't fix his problem. Now they want to install a new $2000 hydraulc control unit at my friend's expense.
Then, if there's still a problem, they want to replace a $500 wiring harness. Total over $3000! Sounds like the old game of throwing parts at it until it works!
Now my friend is looking for a Non-Mercedes replacement vehicle and will have to sell off the ML as-is, for whatever he can get.
Just imagine how much aggravation it could be to repair one of these high-tech wonders when they're as old as our W123s!

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 05-08-2009 at 10:10 PM.