View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012
You're oversimplifying. Black students exist who compete well with white students on level ground. No gap there.
I'm responding directly to the article and the article claims that the black-white achievement gap has been eliminated. If the gap has been eliminated, there is an admission on the part of the school system that a gap DOES exist.

Based on the results of this school in Harlem, black students who received 50-100% more classroom instruction than white students, tested as well as the white students in math. Not all of these black students are functioning below grade level. Those at grade level, however still received 50% more classroom instruction than the white students they are being compared with.

Bottom line: black students in NYC who worked twice as hard as white students (and received twice the resources) did just as well in math as the white students. I think the students deserve credit for their hard work, but the focus on race, testing and equal outcome causes me to be be suspicious of the school system's motive and their results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdriver
Suppose you and I ran at the same speed. We race, you with a 50yd head start.
Why do I get a head start if we run at the same speed? To anticipate your answer, it's because I'm white and the system is racist .

1983 300D
1983 300CD