Thread: Water Furnace
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 05:00 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medmech View Post
They work the same way a heat pump works, in Michigan they are the cats meow I know several people that have installed them and will never buy or build another home without it. I know that they say that the savings is about 20% but with larger homes and keeping the temps warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer the bills are about 25% of what a conventional bill. If I stay in my current home I may do it myself. A system in my home is $30,000, if I keep the house above 70 during the winter my bill would be well above $1000 mo and summer would be $500-600, with Geo I would be @ $150 for electricity so you can see I would pay for the system quickly.
What are you currently using to heat and cool? Savings of that magnitude do not seem possible.....Unless you are using resistance electric heat and window air conditioners.....

The concept is an excellent one but those percentages seem too optomistic, unless your energy source costs are vastly different than they are here in Indiana.

Overall savings of twenty five to forty percent for cooling seem possible.

Savings of thirty to fifty percent for heating seem possible, but again, it depends on the cost of the energy you are burinng currently and the effeciency of the unit being used.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.