View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 02:31 PM

VNT into a 603...contemplating it

Hey guys

So I've been toying with the idea of swapping a VNT onto my 603. I know the Finns have done all sorts of wizardry, but I have yet to hear about anyone doing it on this forum.

I still have a lot of research to do, but any thoughts from those of you who have done this with your 617s (Forced, Bgkast?)

From what I've read, it seems like I'd want a GT2256V minimum. I've been playing around with some equations (which I may have done wrong) and it seems like I would be best off with something in the GT22-25 series.

I'm mostly interested in efficiency and quicker spooling, although at most I might turn up the IP to full load. I don't need anything crazy on there Not looking to go more than 15psi max. A flatter torque curve would be nice.

Are there any major drawbacks to the 603 set-up that are keeping people from trying this out? Emissions junk in the way? All the Garretts I've been seeing on their website are t25 flange, but there are adapters for a t3 to t25. Some of the pics of Finnish superturbos you all have posted looked like they didn't have to move too much around, other than the air filter situation. Would custom headers be required?

Anyway, if this would even work, I probably wouldn't do it for another 6 months, so I have plenty of time to think it out. Ideally, I'd like to keep the cost under $1000, which I think is very attainable.
Past: 1987 300D - 264k

Last edited by awsrock; 05-13-2009 at 02:37 PM.