Thread: Finally!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2002, 04:07 AM

to benz240D

Benz240D, I appreciate you checking into the bowtie heads for me. Thanks. Seeing that you live in michigan, I would assume that anything regarding machine work would be much cheaper than other places because so many cars are produced around that area. Since our economy has slowed, many in the area may do any work for cheaper just to have it.

or maybe

The machinists in michigan are more efficient that machinists in other parts, therefore what you think is a deal in your area may be drastically more expensive somewhere else in a different economy. The economy in michigan probably concentrates around cars. The economy in the bay area, for instance, may focus on computers, therefore machinists are of less demand, so they have to charge more to get the same amount of income because they do less business.

I would have to agree with you that any little mod to a diesel would help. You give the example at the drags, so I will expand on that. Well alot of my friends drive honda. They say man, my headers and cat back exhaust really help. I think yeah with a v8 that's 15 horsepower, and no room for my hands, and that would yeild maybe 5%, so what, but to them 15 horsepower over 100 hp is a lot. So with a 240D with probably somewhere around 80 hp (not too sure on this figure), giving it headers would probably give 5 hp, and porting and polishing the heads probably another 5, thats a lot of extra power to a little diesel, and if someone made a turbo kit for a 240D, it would be a pretty quick car. The problem is, its hard to find bolt on items for the diesels besides K&Ns. I put one on my diesel, I didnt really see much of an improvement, but the keep more debris out of the engine.

Would you agree?

Austin