View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

I sold my back up car yesterday...

I sold my 92 Mercury Sable with 67k ACTUAL miles on it. I/we inherited the car from my ex's Grandma 3.5 years ago (ex wouldn't even ride in it as she thought it was too old and wouldn't be caught dead in it, so I kept it in the divorce- Gee, I wonder why that didn't work out? ). It mainly sits and only got used when I was working on the SD. Before I got the SD it was my daily driver and I put about 30k of the 67k on it.

I am buying a house and we are needing just a bit more cash than we currently have saved for the down payment. Plus I want to get a diesel truck/SUV for when we get the new place as it is on 4.25 acres and will need something (either snowblower, ATV plow, or truck plow) to plow the rather long driveway. So I figured after we buy the house then I will start saving for a truck.

The car was in immaculate shape. The interior was nearly perfect. Only a bit of dirt on the floor that I couldn't get up. The outside was great. A few minor scratches and marks. It had rust starting to show at both rear wheel wells where the rear doors meet the bottom of the car. It was getting a bit rusty underneath as well (Minnesota).

I looked at the KBB and it was ~$1600 but it didn't seem to matter how many miles were on it as I put 100k more and it was the same price. So I decided I would list it high and see what happens as I didn't really NEED to sell it.

I took 50 pics and put them in a slideshow on an image hosting site. Then I put the slideshow and the images as imgs on my craigslist ad. I live a 1/2 block off the Mississippi River and there is a nice Victorian house that over looks a small clearing to the river. So I parked the car there and took pics with both the house and the river in the background. They turned out well. I listed it at $2650. I couldn't believe how much response I got. I listed it Monday night and within a day, I had 3 people wanting to set up a time to see it. The first one came last night. I sold it to her (college gal) for $2500 cash. We noticed that one of the rear shocks was sticking so I let that come off the price.

I think I sold it for a good price, but seeing how quickly I sold it makes me wonder if I priced it too low or just perfectly. I think I priced and marketed it perfectly but seeing how easy it was it makes me wonder...

Past Mercedes
1979 300TD
1982 300TD
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1998 E430
1984 300SD
1980 300SD