View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
There's something odd about that survey. There's a seven point increase in the pro life position. There's also a six point increase in the percentage of people who think abortion should be prohibited in all circumstances, which is a much bigger jump, comparatively speaking, than the pro-life/pro choice position...
That is odd. The curves really take a sharp turn in the last year.
Quote:
This confirms my experience which I posted about in another thread a few weeks ago. The right wing/patriarchal culture warriors are winning the battle.
If you look at the curves over that last 14 years or so, the pro-life side has made great gains.

If I understand the second graph in that article, 74% think that abortion should be legal, at least in certain circumstances (that's the 53% who think it should be legal in some circumstances plus the 22% who think it should be legal in all circumstances). That strikes me as about right.

I'm glad to see the number of people who think it should be legal in all circumstances drop. Of the three possible positions in that survey, that one is the craziest, IMHO.

While so much of the pro-life movement has been dishonest, crazy, and sometimes even violent, they have performed a public service. Trying to outlaw abortion in all cases won't work and would be counterproductive, but I think that too many people take the easy way out by saying that it is totally up to the woman to choose. I think the pro-life people have made people at least pause to consider the life of the fetus, which is a good thing, IMHO.