View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaah7503 View Post
Sounds like an absolutely crazy idea and I totally support it!

Now if you're going through all the hassle and expense of shipping you car overseas you'd better plan that carefully. There is a lot more to Europe than Arjeplog and I'd take the opportunity to see as much of it I could.

Things to consider..
  • Insurance. I know next to nothing about this.. but not only is your car insurance important but also personal insurance for health and theft.
  • Visa or other travel permits - what do you need? Do you need a specific permit for each country you're planning to drive through? Almost all of mainland Europe is part of the Schengen agreement which means there are no border stations anymore, I'd imagine you can travel freely within there. Includes Scandinavia but NOT the UK.
  • Time of the year. You want to go to Arjeplog in the winter but see mainland Europe in warmer weather. Sounds like a problem but really isn't. In late March it's still winter up north while the southern parts of Europe enjoy full blossoming spring (in my opinion the nicest time of the year to travel down there). Start up north and drive south.
  • Route - you want to see as much as possible since you're here. Here's a logistical problem you'd have to solve - Arjeplog is far up in the north and most places worth visiting are much farther down south (talking 2000 miles here) in mainland Europe. Plan a route ahead and don't plan on going more than 500 miles a day since you're driving and old car with whatever problems it might develop.
  • Seasonal stuff .. Going to Arjeplog in the winter, maybe taking a driving class with ice driving means only one thing: winter tires. Studs would be recommended but on the other hand studs are forbidden in most mainland Europe even in wintertime. This COULD be solved by buying stud tires when arriving and selling them when leaving Scandinavia.
  • Diesel prices. Fuel costs almost twice as much here so allocate twice as much money for the fuel. Current prices can be seen here, http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/
  • Mechanical preparations. Get your car in top shape. Change your glow plugs to the parallell style (fast glow) types, this is not a recommendation, it's a must-do. Change stuff that is old, in unknown condition or about to break. Bring fuel hose and clips, spare belts, coolant hoses, vacuum connectors, electrical wire and tape, tools including a small jack. Check your brake pads, hoses and calipers. Exhaust hangers, engine mounts. Bring engine oil, ATF if needed, few gallons of water and brake fluid. Don't forget a full spare diesel can. It sounds like a lot but it is not, fits nicely within the trunk well that is not used by the spare tire. The goal is not to be roadsided by an "oh ***** why didn't I bring that with me?"-moment. Don't underestimate these preparations, on my 3000 mile trip two years ago I blew a front caliper, brake pads, coolant hose and fuel hose that rotted out. Additionally I was saved two times by the spare can since I was driving back roads with no gas stations for hundreds of miles.
  • Social preparations. If possible try to look up some forums with members that are in the areas you plan to visit, tell them about your plans and ask if you can email/phone them if you need any help. It is priceless to get some locals to help you with ordering a part or providing space to repair your car at if you need that.

That list would be 50% shorter if you'd drive a brand new car. But that wouldn't be an adventure now would it!
Thanks for the list!!!!! I shall stick to it! yeah it wouldn't be as fun with a new car.