View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 09:21 AM
dieselarchitect

What does mold require to grow?

A house that I designed and built and sold two years ago is built on a very steep hill. On the south side of the house the hill is at places as much as 12' higher than on the north side so water coming down from the hill collects in a low point which has perforated concrete with sand fill which allows water to soak through and down to a perforated drain which is buried at the bottom of the wall.

The folks who bought the house have not kept the weeds from growing there and last night after weeks of rain the water built up in that area and came through the frame wall which sits on top of the concrete basement wall and ran down behind the 2x4 stud wall in the entry way and under the bottom of it into the entry way.

So I got a call last night at midnight and went over and helped get the water level down outside enough that it stopped coming in.

Now I am thinking about what remedial steps to do.

My first concern is to avoid mold growing between the frame wall and the concrete wall. The frame wall is tight against it, is insulated and has visqueen inside the insulation and finished drywall. There is wood trim at the bottom of the wall.

My first inclination is to just put fans in there and keep them there until we are sure every bit of water has evaporated out of it.

There are other architectural/ technical things which I know how to figure out myself that will need to be done too, probably.

Will mold grow in an environment that is damp but not supplied with free air?
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.