View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
Careful working on that stuff, the bond and the tiles were full of asbestos in those days. Don't breath any thing you cut.
Doubtful that the tiles have asbestos in them if they were installed in 1979 and if they do, it would be because they were laying around in a warehouse for several years before that and then would only contain up to 3%. The mastic from that era contained no asbestos. Absolutely no danger of mesothelioma from exposure for tearing up a floor like that unless you do it everyday for 20 years and you grind up the stuff in a blender and huff it through a bong. If you are still concerned about this issue, send me a pm.

If you have a paint gun style heater, you may be able to heat the tiles a little and be surprised how easily they will come up. Then you could put down luann and use an undercut saw on the door jambs.

I gotta disagree with BC on going over it with more VCT--telegraphing would definitely be a problem, and the mastic may actually reactivate the mastic under the existing tiles. Also, I used to buy VCT for $.18/tile and sell it for $.60-$.90.