View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by link
..If the courts really wanted people to be willing to sit on jury duty they should pay reasonable wages. Jury duty is the height of crude exploitation. ...If the courts want a true jury of peers, they should pay $40 per hour or more.
In my opinion your statements are just so basically wrong that I hardly know where to begin! Let me try. The "courts" do not benefit from trial by jury, it is "We The People" and more specifically YOU the individual,who benefit. Think about it. If you want well-paid mercenaries on the jury, be prepared to be the Defendant who can only afford to pay $1/hour ($12/hour for a twelve-member jury) sitting opposite the Prosecutor, backed by the local Treasury who offers $40/hour.

Quote:
Even after 200 plus years of court systems in this country, ...forcing them to endure something amounting to slave wages and obligate them to sit through a seemingly endless and largely hollow display of tedium. ...utter BS pretense that “it’s an honor to serve.” ...People want income. Period.
I repeat, it is not the 'courts' that want a jury. The Court would be happier to just try you themselves. Do you want some of that???? Again, I think not.

Quote:
...we still don’t get it when it comes to jury duty. ...Why we make jury duty an exercise in arrogance and abuse rather than a reasonably compensated, part-time job it is, is completely incomprehensible. ...It is and always has been a shameful abuse of power. ...Don’t get me wrong, a jury of peers is a good thing, but in our system jurors are not typically peers because they are nearly incarcerated slaves obligated to *****ed as part of the process.
Jurors, selected from the 'peers' for each trial, are the best weapon to defend against "a shameful abuse of power" by a sitting judge who is paid to impose his personal viewpoints on you!

Perhaps you should paid more attention to your Civics classes in school.