View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
1999 and older E class in good nick could be all right, so long as no rust, prior reapired collision damage, and with the W210 models from 1996 and up, the spring perch, and electrics are all ok; An E220 with manual could be nice, as they are the base model, and very fuel thrifty yet not tragically slow with a manual.
I was hoping the 2000 model W208 would be ok because of how much nicer the same color body cladding looks and the mirrors with the lights. That's all secondary, when it comes to realiability and quality. If 1999 and under is the way to go, then that's where we'll go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
1993 to 1995 W124 models, same caveats as above apply except srping perches, especially beware of the "environmentally friendly" wiring harnesses on those that are VERY horrendous and costly to replace; otherwise excellent build quality and quite modern.

Actually if it was me, I would go to Austria or Germany or Switzerland and look for a 1993-1995 W124 series E220 cabriolet with manual, perhaps a wine red or a white one. Sweet!!

Basically the W210 and W124 models are Germany and Europes' "bread and butter" cars, and taxis too, so the company reputation is at stake over these best sellers: They HAVE to be good.

I would look on www.mobile.de and www.autoscout24.de for a real good example for sale in Germany

I agree with you. I've always been a huge fan of the W124 cars too. The problem I'm noticing is that when you find one they don't seem to be in as nice condition as one would hope. A perfect cabrio example is fetching strong $$$ too.

There is a back up plan .... a BMW 3 series.