Thread: Which welder...
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
I've got the Lincoln 135, which is a mig, 110v. I use it for my artwork, and furniture, as well as any random repairs (like my parents' grill, which has a hard time staying on the patio on windy days).
It can weld aluminum, only it needs different wire and straight argon instead of 75/25 Ar/CO. I've welded leaf spring steel with it, truck rotors, and plate up to 1/4. I've also welded stainless and mild steel sheet with it. I've had it 4 years without issue.

I agree about not using flux core, but not because it doesn't look good. It is hard to get a good bead with it. Looks don't matter, especially for sheet metal since you are going to grind and pound the weld smooth anyway.

I don't know what the current number is for the Lincoln 110v gas mig. Maybe it's still the 135. Anyway, I highly recommend it if you want to spend the money. New it was $750 when I bought it, and ~$120 for the cylinder if you don't want to rent.

All that said, to be honest, I don't think you're going to get the value out of it if all you're going to do is weld a patch panel, an exhaust, and then look for things around the house you could weld. Take a welding class at the comm college or vocational school. Take the car there and take the exhaust. They can be your projects, or you can do them after class.
So do you mean to use the shielding gas instead? I've not done that yet, I've just used the flux core and I understand the gases from that are NOT good for children and other living things. Getting a gas cannister wouldn't be that hard. Might be worth it. I've had some trouble with the flux core stuff.

Agreed on the welding class. I did that and would like to take more classes.