Thread: Which welder...
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I keep toying with the idea of buying a welder. I know that it's not as fast as a MIG, but I really think that I'd be happier with a TIG. But I've never used a TIG. Is it possible to get a TIG setup for less than $1500 that's actually worth anything?
Yes and no. $1500 would be a very bare bones Tig, which makes it all the harder to learn, which is hard enough as it is. The unit I've been using is a dual machine, arc and tig. I share my shop with another guy who has this machine. It was ~1200 he said. The torch is another $200. Then you have to buy your tungsten sticks. The machine has no heat control, and neither does the torch. This means I have to control the heat by how much time I spend in a spot. It doesn't have the high frequency start, it has a lift arc start (touch the tungsten to the metal and lift to start the arc).
If one knows how to tig, it's not much slower than mig, but it takes a long time to get good. It's a two hand+one foot operation. One hand you hold the torch, the other your filler material, and use your foot to control heat (unless you have the torch mounted heat control). The metal has to be squeaky clean, as do the tungsten tips. If you touch the filler rod or the metal with the tungsten, you have to stop immediately and regrind the tungsten tip or you'll get contamination.

If you want a tig, I'd suggest one with the high frequency start, and the heat control, which puts you over $2K.

What are you going to use it for?

Probably the most versatile/best tool would be an oxyactylene torch. You can weld with it, cut with it, and you don't need electricity to run it. More of a fire hazard though.