View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 AM

Well, I finished putting it all back together... with a fresh wiring harness too. Turned the key and it took 2-3 starts till fuel got all the way thru the system and then she fired up. Ran rough for a few minutes and then settled in. For the first 10 minutes there was a bit of steam and assorted fluids burning off the engine. You see, while I had the head off I covered all the opennings and power washed the entire engine compartment. Everything was so accessible I couldn't resist. There had been an oil leak from the timing cover and from the passenger side firewall area of the head for such a long time that the build of of gunk was too much. Took it for a 10 mile drive and no check engine light. Engine is now fairly smooth, I'm hoping that over a week of so with use it will get better and better. This took me quite a while to do this job so from not being used the brakes oxidized, they're loud and rough. a good commute to New York in stop & go will take care of that. I'll run the car for about a week and then check for leaks.
I do have battery charging (alternator) light coming up on the dash - it may be from soaking the alternator with a power washer. I'm hoping that will go away too.
I have to go back and even out one of the exhaust manifold flanges - I tightened it unevenly and there is an air leak.
Also have to flush the radiator, I only filled it with straight water for the timebeing to test it.