View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 12:48 AM
Dang it, I forgot about the fresh air plenum (a large "Y" shaped piece). You will have to remove the center console completely. I posted a how to for this for Mattman, I'll dig up the link. As for the broken cross piece that has two screws to the shift gate - everyone I have seen has been at least cracked. The console I have in now is cracked as well. I have heard that some careful work with some hot strips of metal, like bailing wire, can be used to make a patch.

Super glue the center piece where it is broken at the screw holes, then heat a piece of wire and press it into the side of the plastic. Should hold together enough to secure the console and provide a solid attachment for the legs of the panel.

Send me an email Earl so I can email you the document (complete with pics - or at least links to them). It hasn't been posted to the DIY section yet and you're gonna need it.

EDIT: Read this to learn how to remove the console. It start about halfway down the page, be sure to study all the relevant posts.
Mike Tangas
'73 280SEL 4.5 (9/72)- RIP
Only 8,173 units built from 5/71 thru 11/72

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.

Last edited by MikeTangas; 05-30-2002 at 01:12 AM.