View Single Post
Old 05-30-2002, 05:52 PM

About to replace my vacuum pump

Anyone out there ever replace the vacuum pump on the 603 ('87 300D turbo) engine? I'm planning to do it this weekend, mine is leaking oil and making me nervous since I've heard these can go bad and take the engine with them. My question is that Phil got me the pump and gasket and I discovered there is another, different gasket that comes packed with the pump. The gasket with the pump is a metal compression gasket that looks like it also will allow the oil to pool up behind it and help lubricate the pump. The gasket from the parts book Phil sent is a typical fiber type that looks like it will make a much better seal than the metal one. My guess is that I'll need to use them both and I'll likely find out when I remove the old pump. If I'm going to need an additional part or gasket I'd love to know that before I tear into this. Phil could only tell me that the book lists one gasket only but that the book has been wrong before. Anyone out there have any experience with this? Thanks.
Randy

By the way, looking at this pump I can see how if it fails it could throw some nasty parts into the engine. Yuckkkkk!
1985 300 TDT(130K miles of trouble free motoring)now sold