View Single Post
Old 05-31-2002, 01:14 AM

Part 3

Once that is done put the clamped panel off to the side and let is sit for 24 hours. Good wood glues sets up fairly quick, allowing you to work a little quicker but due to the use and tension the panel will receive I prefer to let it set a long time.

Prior to installing the repaired panel, you want to check that the staples which hold the cam legs to the panel are tight. Often someone not familiar with how the panel is installed will try to pry up on it. This action tends to loosen the staples from the wood.

You can lay the panel, as shown, on the workbench, with a soft towel between the panel and bench. Using a small punch and a plastic, or rubber mallet, gently tap the staples down. It doesn’t take much to push the staples back in and tighten up the mounting. Upon reinstalling the panel use care not to exert any upward force on the legs to ensure the staples don’t pull out again

That is how I repaired the broken center console wood panel. It is a fairly fast job, the only hold up is having to wait twenty-four hours for the glue to completely cure. I’m not sure there is a “wrong” wood glue to use, but I use basic carpenter’s yellow wood glue, the stuff made by Elmer’s.

Hope this helps to fix some of those broken center panels out there.

'02 CLK320 Cabriolet - wifey's mid-life crisis

2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...at least its a diesel

Non illegitemae carborundum.