View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 04:25 AM
Marsala

Wow, there are some really good points made there. I suppose what's really disappointing from a Mercedes-Benz marketing perspective is that there is no obvious Mercedes answer, is there?
What about the 300E and S classes? Are their successors worthy?

My opinion is that the W202 isn't really a proper successor to the W201. It's bigger, thirstier, but less nimble. and no manual stick! I've driven a 98 C280Sport, and an "AMG" 1995 C280 "Sport" (it felt authentic to me! anyone know if it's for real?) and would seek out a 96 Sport. C280Sport is on the list.

I've considered an A4, and came close to getting a used 99.5 5spd... the A4 is still on my list. I'm not into the BMW Image (people in Vancouver/Richmond know what I mean).

The C-coupe, unfortunately, was stricken from my list when I drove it. I'm not a fan of the 230Kompressor engine. It made a terrible noise. It's looks are too controversial (someone mistook one for a Mazda 323!!!!!). I'm sure it handles really really well. But then, so does a MINI(not on list - too flashy). So does an Infiniti G20(not on list - too anti-flashy). So does a Ford freaking Focus (rented many.. full of Built Ford Tough fun).

So my 201.029 stays for now.. while I continue to ignore my "get a new car, you old-fashioned kid" critics.