View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
User Friendly

I first removed the bolts that fasten the transmission cooler lines to the block and pan. The lines remain attached to the cooler.

I disconnected the exhaust pipe and the it's connection to the transmission mount as well as removing the 2 bolts at the rear transmission mount. This is because I figured since I was leaving the transmission attached, that the trans would need to tilt up. This might have been unnecessary.

I removed the fan shroud and then removed the fan clutch/blade. The radiator does not have to come out.

Remove the motor mount bolts and the engine shocks.

I disconnected the air tube going to the turbo and also the throttle linkage and the upper radiator hose. I did not lose a drop of coolant.

This might have been all that I removed. I then attached a heavy strap at the engine lift points and lifted the engine up maybe 2 inches, little by little while looking everything over for binding and pulling.

I then removed the side pan here as it needs to be removed to get at all the pan bolts. Watch out here, as some oil will come out. Remove the rest and hit the pan with a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer to loosen it.

I did not have to rotate the crank. The pan came right out. The engine was lifted just enough to get the rear of the pan over the cross member with a little tilting.

I hope I didn't forget anything. (I almost forgot about the motor mounts and engine shocks)

'05 E320 CDI - 86,000 miles
'86 300SDL - 360,000 miles
'85 300SD - 150,000 miles (sold)
'89 190D - 120,000 miles (sold)
'85 300SD - 317,000 miles (sold)
'98 ML320 - 270,000 miles (sold)
'75 300D - 170,000 miles (sold)
'83 Harley Davidson FLTC (Broken again) :-(
'61 Plymouth Valiant - 60k mikes
2004 Papillon (Oliver)
2005 Tzitzu (Griffon)
2009 Welsh Corgi (Buba)