View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 09:09 AM
MadMerecedes

Another bad starter? How can that be?

Its a long story. I don't even know where to begin. The car in question is a 78 240 D stick. I have had trouble with starters ever since I bought the car. A few months after I bought the car the starter went out so I replaced it. That starter worked for almost a year. Then it just stopped working. No warning, no funny noise. It just stops. Turn the key and nothing happens. So I remove the starter and get another under warranty. This starter only starts the car about six times then it also stops working. When I take the starter back to the parts store they say it tests fine. So I went ahead and replaced a few items, thinking that it can't be the starter. I replaced the battery, and the negative and positive leads. Still won't start. So I bought a remote starter switch. I figure that if I can get it to turn over with the remote switch than it must be the ignition switch that is bad. Still won't start. I finally take the car to the local Indy shop to have the cars electrical systems checked out. Guess what? There is nothing wrong with the car except the starter is bad. So I have the mechanic call the parts store and let them know that the starter is worthless. I decided that I want a different brand starter so I get my money back and go to Kragens. There I purchased a starter and installed it. That was on 6/23/01. Yesterday that starter died. The manager at Kragens would not give me another starter because he says that it tests fine. So they gave me my money back. Now I have a car without a starter and no clue what to do. By the way the car is very easy to bump start. I only have to get it going about three miles an hour and then dump the clutch in second and it starts right up. Help. I have no idea what to do. Any suggetions would be appreciated.