View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Human Spirit

Thanks for the comments - This helps in a couple of ways -

The Crystal Flash at US131 exit would be fairly handy, especially when heading down state or back. I'm glad to hear some Shell stations offer two diesels - from what I've learned searching for premium diesel in Minnesota, this would 'minimally' mean that the premium offering is a mid-range, (42-45 cetane) with some type of additive offering - if not a full blown premium (47-50 cetane), also with an additive package.

Minnesota does not require cetane posting either. This, combined with a very weak federal definition of 'premium diesel', leaves lots of room for penny pinching retailers to abuse the term premium. I post a comment I made on the TDIClub forum regarding premium diesel regulation (which includes the website for the feds who set the standard).

Motor On!

How can a retailer can sell 40 cetane diesel and label it as 'premium diesel'? The law currently states that only 2 out of 5 requirements need to be met to be considered 'premium'. [From the NCWM regulations <http://ts.hist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/h130-02/engreg.pdf> they are: 1: Energy content minimum of 138,700 BTU/gallon, 2: Cetane Number of 47.0, 3: Low Temperature Operability from Oct 1 - March 31, 4: Thermal Stability minimum reflectance measurement of 80% and 5: Fuel Injector Cleanliness, a CRC rating of 10.0 or less and a flow loss of 6.0% or less bla, bla, bla] . . . So, for example, a retailer could purchase regular #2, 40 cetane, low sulpher diesel (one requirement met) then add a simple fuel stabilizer such as 'OTR' (a second requirement met) and presto, they can legally label the pump as premium diesel!

90 300E, 142k (sold)
87 300TD, 128k (sold)
83 300D, 314k (sold)
79 300TD, 266k (sold)

Share your knowledge -

Wayne