View Single Post
Old 06-02-2002, 07:26 PM
MadMerecedes

Update on the starter situation. I sent my wife to Kragens to get another starter with the money the manager gave me for the refund. $193.04 is what he gave me and what she paid for a 300
D starter. The box it came in says "Remanufactured. Not Rebuilt.". It is a Bosch. It claims that the field coil is tested. The brushes are inspected. The armature is remanufactured. Bearings replaced. Commutater is new. Drive assembly new. Bushings new or inspected and gauged. Solenoid assembly remanufactued with new contacts and tested for pull strength, and that all starters are load tested to meet or exceed original equipment specifications for voltage and amperage. I installed it and it works, just like I knew it would. Now for my next question. What is it about my car that is killing starters? I assume that heat is a contributing factor. The exhaust pipe runs right by the starter. Is there a heat shield that is missing? My cars temp gauge hardly ever even climbs to 80. When it gets close is when it is over 100 outside and I have the air on. It does reach 100 alot in the summer in my area. Jim Smith you seem to know alot about the subject. Do you think that if I wrapped the exhaust pipe with some kind of insulation, where it is closest to the starter, it would help. I can't think of anything else that would do it. The car starts right up. I don't have to do an inordinate amount of cranking. In fact I bet it starts up faster than most 240s. Thanks in advance for any advice.