View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Unbanned...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Guys i might be getting an E500 W124 1994 model in a week or so. I need some lowering springs, can someone point me in the right direction?
At the risk of starting a flame war... I don't recommend lowering the 500E/E500. Excluding unobtanium tuner springs, the only lowering springs made for that car were the AMG E60 springs (no longer available), or the H&R (not sure if they are still available or not). The AMG springs only lowered the car a half-inch. Problem is, the H&R springs lower the car a bit too much (an inch or more). The car already has limited suspension travel, and if you drop it 1+ inches, it will be sitting on the suspension bump stops. Bottom line, for a street car, leave the stock springs but switch to thinner spring pads for a slight reduction in ride height. If this will be a race car, that's a different story.

On a side note - the stock 500E struts & rear hydro-legs have internal extension limiting springs (click here to see a cutaway view). These are tuned to the stock ride height. If you lower the car with H&R's, these become less effective. In the meantime, check out the two E500E forums, www.*********.com and www.500Ecstasy.com , all the 124.036 crazies hang out there (myself included).

BTW - here is a photo of my car, which is not lowered. I have STOCK springs. If the ride height were any lower, the tires would be inside the fenders, and - well - I don't want it to look like a BMW, lol!

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!