View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
New England Hick

That day isn't too far off for my oldest (almost 12). My father did buy my first vehicle, an '79 F100 with the ventilated bed option. If I wanted something else, pay for it. Insurance and fuel I was on my own. Maintenance and repairs, I paid for parts and he'd help me if I asked. After my first speeding ticket he kicked me off his policy (up to that point I paid the portion for me) and I was completely on my own. I paid more for straight liability in 6 months than I pay for all 3 cars now, 2 with full coverage.

My son will learn many of the same lessons, although I think I'll offer to go halfsies with him on the vehicle purchase with some limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987
My parents never made me learn anything about cars or pay for anything ... I was allowed to use whatever family car was available to drive to school (two miles away) and the occasional outing with friends. I guess it's not really traditional to make your daughter learn about cars, but I wish I had. I never even learned how to drive stick until I bought my 240D this winter. I remember not long after I got my license I drove our 93 Caravan all the way home from school with the oil lamp on ... I thought it was the same as being low on fuel ... left a trail of oil up the driveway. Somehow the car survived that, but no one ever explained to me about what happened, my dad just told me that next time that light comes on, don't keep driving. The only reason I ever learned anything was after my dad gave me the 300D, I really fell in love with it, but it had a few little problems here and there that I didn't have a clue what to do with. I remember my dad changing the return lines for me, and I was impressed with how easy that was ... I liked the idea of being able to do stuff like that. I didn't have to, my dad would have paid to have my indy fix the car. I guess I also liked the idea of not being a useless spoiled brat.

It's funny, my parents really never taught me anything about money or self-sufficiency. They wouldn't even let me get a job in high school when I wanted to earn my own money. Yet somehow I still ended up being very frugal and hard-working. Guess I learned by example ... my dad has always worked as hard as anyone I know, and both my parents are very frugal themselves. So I learned a lot by watching, I guess.
I will take that little bit of info. to heart as my daughter is only a couple years behind my oldest son. I really try hard not to pigeon-hole or be too traditional but sometimes it just turns out that way. My sister is very self-sufficient around cars and motorcycles thanks to my father and I hope to be able to pass that onto my daughter.

My brother, sister and I were taught to drive on a standard and were required by my father to take our driving tests with a standard vehicle. It amazes me that my 30yo BIL has never driven one and doesn't know how to drive one. I've started getting my wife out in my Jeep so she can at least get used to it even if not exactly comfortable with it.

I WANT ONE!

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)