View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 08:14 AM

Cause of 4Matic dash light on?

Hello, I'm new to this board, but have been reading it for a while and now have a question that a topic search here hasn't answered. I have a 1992 300TE 4Matic wagon with 127,500 miles which I bought used with 107,000. A little while ago, the dashboard 4Matic light that comes on at start up doesn't go off once the engine starts. I took it to the dealer and they said without looking at it that the transfer case needs to be replaced due to leakage, ($4500+). But, they said I could drive it for a while without damage, but not to turn off the system or I would adversely affect the suspension. A few days ago though I had an emissions test and when they put the car on the dyno, all four wheels spun perfectly without any noise or anything. There also has always been hydraulic fluid in the tank, (though low), so now I don't know what's going on. Is there anything else that could cause the dashboard light to go on? Am I damaging something else by still driving the car with the light on? I love this car almost as much as my other one and hope to keep it just as long. Thanks.