View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzportland View Post
Hello - I am looking at a 1979 450sl to purchase, and there is a ticking or clicking noise coming from under the left (driver side) cam cover. I have found bits and pieces here and there about the lobes, camshaft, oilers, etc but nothing really comprehensive on examining and/or servicing them. I assume from the noise and importance of the part it really needs to be serviced ASAP, but I am wondering if this is a DIY for someone who is not a mechanic. Any advice, tips, points, would be greatly appreciated.
Probably one or more worn rockers. You'll also have to get a valve spring compressor for an overhead cam engine to remove and examine them, a gauge to check their height after you've done that, and some shims to adjust their heights.

KD Tool has a compressor for around 50, or you can get the MB version for around 100.Not very hard or expensive to replace, as there are some reasonably priced after-market rockers for around 20@ vs 60@ for MB OEM's.

If it;s caused by worn cams, the rockers and cams should be replaced together. Cams are not too hard to remove and can be remanned for under 100 each.

While you;re at it you should check to see if the timing chain is stretched and.or the guides are worn. They need to be replaced every 100k miles or so, to prevent major engine damage. There are many posts on checking and replacing chains and guides in the archives.

Good luck!