View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Dieselsüchtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwogaman View Post
I could say I did it for the insurance price break - of which there will be a slight one, but that would just be an excuse. I did it because I could and I really enjoy working on these cars. I love the way you can take a car with nearly a quarter million miles and make it look nearly new. It helps to have a ready supply of donor cars at the various pick & pull yards nearby. The hardest part to find was the airbag itself in the right color which some knucklehead had not yet tried to pry out, thus marring it up. Once I found that the rest of the pieces could come from essentially any W124 with an installed passenger airbag.

I also installed a center console storage box - again the right color - which will compensate for the loss of the glove box somewhat. I took the pieces from three different cars to get a complete unit. Even still, I had to reglue the wood strips back together.

I intend to do a complete write-up on the project. I took hundreds of pictures and I need to simple sort through them, add comments, and write instructions.

I next want to look into retrofitting a driver's airbag in my 85' 300SD. Why? I don't know, I guess I just like playing with Lego's.

I completely understand. I do projects like that on my cars too, just because it is enjoyable and interesting. Everyone I know has a hard time understanding....
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)