View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimer View Post
Well I have a few problems as you veterans so astutely predicted.

Car wouldn't start.

Autozone charged and checked battery=good
Thought hack radio install by PO was the cause of battery drain so I removed radio fuse.

Sat overnight with battery connected and started this morning soooo... back to autozone to

Have them test starter and alternator today=battery bad, starter good, alternator diodes good, voltage (?) bad

So something is draining battery or alternator isn't charging=checked voltage regulator and it looks warn....will replace

Next isue: SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0-60=23 seconds; 0-20 is the real problem.

Was hoping for plugged banjo, but minor soot only...cleaned but no help....changed fuel filters=no help. Will get valves adjusted and timing checked next??? Then maybe the ALDA.

Needs shifter bushings bad.
Needs Seat repair BAD.
Needs tires
needs shocks

The list is mounting and haven't even gotten to the suspension, or the paint and body work.

My goal was to be under $3000 for purchase price, repairs, and paint and bodywork, but I'm starting to think it can't happen.

I'm a little embarrassed to post , but I think it will be good for others to possibly see my mistake.

I'm not giving up yet....will update progress as it happens.

Questions-----battery is at 12.3 sitting, idle with many accesories on is at just under 12, volts climb as I give throttle up to ~13.3.
doesn't this mean my alternator is charging?
Advance your turbo boost 3/4 of a turn, that will help drastically in how the throttle responds to pressure, and how the car accelerates.

People who claim; "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes," have never bought one new. I have, and it is a he## of a lot of money let me tell ya. The most money I've ever spent on any car is the new price. Which does not come back to you either. Bottom line; buy what you can afford, and be happy with it.

What is true is, that you'd better know something about the car you are buying, to know what it's true estimated cost will be to put and keep it on the road. The rest, are just repeating a mindless slogan, on something they know nothing about. A cheap used Mercedes may be the best money you ever spent on a car - I know that side of the coin too.....I bought one of those too.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 07-11-2009 at 01:34 AM.