Thread: Brake Job Price
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2002, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the time. A few things for clarification. I don't actually sell real-estate (anymore), I work for a real estate corporation. I wish I could plan. Unfortunately my schedule does not give me much notice and changes all the time (not of my choosing...). A slave to the company...

I'd rather use the independent. They seem more knowledgable about the older cars and I like to support the little guy. The other reason is I did hear the svc manager talk about squeezing in a customer (that was loyal). They did squeeze him in, could not finish the job, left it half done and kept the car. Tough luck for customer he said... Also, while I preach convenience, there is a price limit. The dealer wants $1300 to change the timing chain and the independent will do it for $600-$700. I think I can mange the rent a car and extra couple of hours of drive time....I'm going to schedule it for next month (as maintenance) and hope I don't have to go out of town at the last minute (again).

The logical thing to do would be to buy a new car with a warranty at a place that always gives loaner cars. But, then I'd have to drive a new car. I just can't bring myself to do that. I like the older cars better. More soul...

And no, I'm not rich, just fortunate.

'88 560SL Pearl Black/Java 152K
'94 E320 Anthracite/Grey 89K

'94 E420 Black/Bamboo
'90 300E
'71 280SEL 4.5