View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc View Post
Allright, I did some searching and apparently the GP/Injector discussion is pretty popular. It is so popular that I am now pretty confused.

My SDL has 181k on the clock. The GP's were pulled around 150k and the PO was told they were fine (I have the paperwork that indicates that at least). I beileve them to be the original GP's.

These should have been changed by now, right?

Also, I have noticed that there is some smoke coming from the car now on acceleration (black, and not too thick). It did not do that before. I understand that may be the injectors? I can have them tested, right?

Is there a Glow Plug and/or Injectors for Dummies thread that I could reference to understand these items?

Sorry if these seemed to be covered, but I am not really literate when it comes to Diesel topics. If there is a better way to ask these questions I am open to any and all suggestions.

As always, thanks for your help.
As long as the GPs are working they do not need to be changed. If you have a Volt/Ohm meter you could use one of our DIYs or go to the Diesel Giant website and test your Glow Plugs without removing them.
How long Glow Plugs last seems to depend on if Fuel I burning OK in the Combustion Chamber and Carbon build up in that area.

If the PO kept his Engine "tuned-up" and in top shape I would expect the Glow Plugs to last longer than in a neglected Engine.

Other Factors are where you live. If it is extremely cold during part of the year you would be using your Glow Plugs more than where I am in S CA.

Next would be that a lot of City driving tends to cause more Carbon Build up which seems to shorten the GP life.

Another factor could be the other part of you starting system. The Battery its Cables (including the Ground strap) and the Sarter. If they are all in optimal condition starting is fast.

If you do end up replacing some Glow Plugs Members report that only Beru and Bosch Glow Plugs Hold up well. Totally avoid Autolite GPs; I like others have had a bad experience with them.
Also when the Glow Plugs are removed ream/clean the Carbon out of the Glow Plug holes.

Yes, Injectors can be tested but they must be removed from the Engine to do so but you have to pay for that.
Some Members have had good results by doing a "Purge" in hopes of cleaning the Injectors.

Learning takes time.
It might be helpful to go the the Library and get a book on how Diesel Engines work. Understanding how the various parts work will help you when you read the various Threads; to differentiate between what is a members presonal choice and what is actually needed.

If your Car is running OK I would not be in a hurry to start pulling parts off until you know why you are doing it. Spend some time reading the DIY Links on the parts you are concerned with.