View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 AM

Thanks all for the responses.

Once I got a little better understanding I was able to peruse the DIY a bit and figure out some stuff.

I am going to try the old italian tune up on the injectors to see how that works. I did have a problem eariler where the ALDA got all sooted up and was not working correctly. I think that may have caused some build up as I ran it a bit like that before someone here pointed me in the right direction. From my reading that type of build up can cause the car to smoke a bit.

As for the GP's, I don't know. I found a reciept for a reputable indy that had both Injectors and GP's out for testing at 146k (I have 181k now). They indicated they were both fine for whatever that is worth.

I also have a block heater, so I really don't rely on the GP's in the winter. I have noticed hard starting sometimes but I don't know if that is all GP related or perhaps a zealous operator.

On the bright side they also did a compression test. It indicated 300 straight across. From my reading that is good. I would kind of expect that given these engines and the fact that this car was pretty well cared for.

I will continue to fuddle my way through this stuff as I really like it. It is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between opinion and fact on this board. There are some fun discussions that I don't really follow as I am no where near as technical although I do understand most of the basics.

Y'all sure do know these cars.

96 SL 500

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke