View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 AM
You talkin’ to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
What problems are you having?
Seemingly some erratic shift patterns. This is one of those situations where I bought used and don't really know what is normal and what to expect. Plus, being the NA diesel, i expect it to be a little on the sluggish side. Anyway, performance has always been poor when climbing hills - I could floor it and not get any response - just maintaining speed and if the grade was steep enough (like climbing up the Rockies) actually lose speed.

Recently I started experiencing some slipping (I think?) when accelerating from a dead stop. This has only happend a few times. Almost as if it is having trouble catching. I have to back off and ease into it to get some momentum. Higher gears give no problems after this.

Looking over the throttle linkage and cable I found a couple of broken plastic pieces on the cables, but not sure if this is a problem. I can post some pics of these. I messed around a little, but didn't alter anything. Nevertheless, the next day the shift pattern seemed a little different.

Now there seems to be a little flaring from 2nd-3rd. I have to back off to get it shift around 3000 PRMs. Also, when traveling at highway speeds, if I floor it, it will kickdown (even on hills now), but after it does it makes a rattling sound and seems to have to fight to accelerate.

As an aside, sitting idle and shifting between the following gears goes as follows:

Park - Drive = immediate engagement
Park - Reverse = 1-2 second delay
Reverese - Drive = immediate engagement
Drive - Reverse = 1-2 seconds

Sorry for vague and long-winded overview of the symptoms here. It is a lot to ponder right now, so I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

The fluid is not low, actually high and a little dirty - as soon as my parts come in I will be changing the fluid and filter.

Thanks in advance for any help.

"Back off, man. I’m a scientist” ~ Peter Venkman