View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 PM

I hate to post when my experience is limited to reading the forum, but I need the practice so I can try and help the regulars that might get tired of answering the same questions. I think much of this information can be had by doing a search or two.

I also think this is a very desirable car for its power, and I believe it was the fastest mercedes diesel until 1998's turbodiesel.

I think the typical W123 vs. W124 repair cost argument goes something like... the 124 is more expensive to maintain and more difficult to DIY, but there is a wealth of knowledge and expertise here so things can get done with only your ability as a DIY'r and access to tools, parts, money, and time to limit you.

I'd say weak points are the cylinder heads and AC. I think the #14 head is the most prone, but depending on mileage may have been replaced.

I think AC systems are problematic in most ACC equipped MB's.

Sunroof repairs can be expensive.

Rust seems to be the real killer, so yes I think it's important you examine the car closely and even more importantly pay the going rate for a qualified person to give the car a thorough inspection.

Hope I didn't make too many mistakes. Good luck!

1984 300D---Sold
1995 E420 - 106K - Brilliant Silver Metallic/Orion Gray --- Sold
1984 300SD - 151K Manganese Brown Metallic/Mostly Black --- Sold
1982 240D - 79K - Manila Beige/Palomino---Sold