View Single Post
Old 06-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Service Advisor
BAD NEWS! AC Evaporator leaking!!

Well just found out yesterday, I have a leaking evaporator. At the expense of the repair, I probably wont be repairing it anytime soon, but I will however recharge the AC and hope it lasts for the summer.

The way we found out is I wanted to check the shifter busings, the AC wasn't getting very cold anymore (I just recharged it in feb/march of this year), and have my mech check the tighness of all the suspension bolts to make sure they were tight, since I have put some mileage on the car since the suspension repairs. When he had it on the lift, we noticed some green oil on the side of the tranny area by the shifter linkage. Instantly my mech goes oh no. looks like the evaporator is leaking.

I might try to DIY this repair, I have no problems dismantling the interior or putting it back together, its the evaporator part I'm worried about.

Apart from the parts cost (+/- $300), I figure if I can do it myself I should save quite a bit of money on labor.

Anyone think DIY on this is possible, or is it one of those best left to the technician kind of jobs.

I really do not feel up to shelling out a couple of grand in labor to fix it if I can DIY it, not that I don't trust my mech, we all know I trust him completely, but that amount of labor is hard to have to deal with financially.

'92 300CE - Sold
2004 C240 - C7 Wheels
2015 ML350 - P1, Pano, Ash poplar wood, Sport Dinamica interior, Running Boards Keyless go.

Last edited by Ashman; 06-08-2002 at 04:20 PM.